Skip to main content

Parenting in the Mundane (Or How Mummy Struggles)

Lately, part of my job description as a mother has included spending the time when we reach home tiredly circling around the car park next to our apartment block, as our son Z enthusiastically uses his eagle-eyes to identify the license plates of cars which share the beginning letter of his name. It just seems to be his 'thing' right now, part of his excitement in learning the alphabet.
Learning the alphabet through the letters on car license plates.
He spots a letter Z from afar, clutches my hand and pulls me towards said car, stops in front of the plate and beams widely at me before tracing his favourite letter of the alphabet with his finger. We do this about five more times until, finally satisfied, we head back to the pavement and he dashes off to be the first person to press the "going up" button at the lift lobby. Not that anyone is going to vie with him for that honour - by this time, Daddy has already taken his younger brother up to sleep, and I am trudging slowly towards him, laden with bags and the tiredness of having made a few rounds of our car park yet again. Then the routine of bedtime beckons - brushing teeth, drinking almond milk, reading Elmer the Elephant, Bible story and prayer time. I must admit that sometimes I wonder when going home and getting into bed will be any easier for all of us, but still try to spend the last moments of each day meaningfully with him, knowing that they contribute to a peaceful night's rest for him.
Our little nature lover son used to insist on stepping on
every single leaf he could find. 
It used to be another ritual that got to me. On the way to the nearby neighbourhood grocery store, my sweet nature lover would insist on cutting through the field in-between the blocks of flats to look for a clump of mimosa, say good night and put them gently to "sleep", then scurry off to the area behind the shops where the exhaust pipes are, and ask me to sing "If You're Happy and You Know It" while he danced around the open area till we both got hot and bothered and sought refuge in the air-conditioned comfort of the supermarket. Yes, strange, I know. I can't remember how this routine started, but we must have done this for at least half of his second year, each time we took the same route. In fact, he even tried to do it in the rain, not caring about whether or not he got wet. It somehow brought him comfort and great delight.  

The funny thing was that I never took note of the day when he decided to stop. One afternoon about a month ago, we were taking the same path to the shop when I noticed him zooming past the field with mimosas, and dashing right past our "If You're Happy and You Know It" corner, right into the shop. 

At that very moment, a totally unexpected wave of something hit me, a combination of wistfulness and a realisation that my little boy was growing up. I glimpsed at the bright sunlight casting shadows on the exhaust pipes, half expecting to see a slightly younger version of Z dancing madly around and clapping his hands, and running to hug his brother as we sang, "If you're happy and you know it, hug Di Di..." But my little boy was no longer there; he had moved on.

The irony is that the things that seem to bug you the most at one stage in your children's growing up become the very things that you miss.  And sometimes you may not even know what these things are going to be, until they're gone.

It's been a very difficult period for me as a mother, perhaps one of the most exhausting so far. Babies are no trouble at all, regardless of what everyone says. They drink milk, sleep, and need diaper-changing, and are content with lots of hugs and snuggles. Two-year-olds, on the other hand, are bundles of energy who require your 24/7 presence as they experiment with the world around them, sometimes at the expense of their own safety. Four-year-olds also need lots of extra loving on and patience as they seek to find out a bit more about who they are and whether they matter to the people who matter most to them. Combine an affectionate but boisterous 2-year-old and a tender-hearted but whiny 4-year-old with a house that needs managing and part-time work that needs doing, and my days have often ended with me crawling into bed and not knowing how I will have strength for the next day!
Two boys each with every different needs. But both so sweet-natured and
adorable.
In The Practice of the Presence of God, the author Brother Lawrence describes how he left a life in the secular world to go into full-time ministry and joined a monastery, thinking he would spend his days in meditation and contemplation. Instead, he finds himself in the kitchen, having been assigned cooking and washing duty. To his surprise, it is there, he says, among the clatter of the pots and pans, that he finds God. 


For Brother Lawrence, "common business," no matter how mundane or routine, could be a medium of God's love. The sacredness or worldly status of a task mattered less than motivation behind it. "Nor is it needful that we should have great things to do. . . We can do little things for God; I turn the cake that is frying on the pan for love of Him, and that done, if there is nothing else to call me, I prostrate myself in worship before Him, who has given me grace to work; afterwards I rise happier than a king. It is enough for me to pick up but a straw from the ground for the love of God."


I have always desired to do the same, to see God in the seemingly mundane moments of my everyday life. 

But faced with almost near exhaustion and the drudgery of the routines of everyday life, I am often full of complaints and grumbles instead of joy and gratefulness (you can ask my husband!) I not only fail to cherish these moments but often turn them into potential areas of conflict with my husband and children, expecting them to carry the load when I feel I cannot, and thinking that everything should revolve around me because I am The Tired One. How far from the truth!

These times of mundanity are times that God uses to mould our characters and make us grateful for what we do have, and to depend more fully on His Spirit for the strength we lack. 

We heard recently of a family serving God in Arkansas who lost their father and two of their nine children when a tornado hit their home. I thought that if I were in their shoes, what I would give for just one of those mundane moments which now they will never have the chance to enjoy on this side of heaven. There are so many other families who have experienced such losses. It somehow makes me grateful for the simple things we share in the everyday of our lives.

The now-missed moments of my children's growing up years drive me to thankfulness and help me to treasure the difficult moments in the present. When I choose to lift my eyes above my circumstances, God gives me a glimpse of how they look to Him; What He sees in these times is a mother offering her child her simple presence, and her children finding security and comfort in the safety of the familiar. 

More importantly, He shows me that He has been there with me in each of those moments, and that in the seemingly mundane lies something most sacred.

The Daddy's Version of Parenting in the Mundane can be found here.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Malacca with the Kids: March 2015

Malacca has always been our go-to place for a short getaway. Most of the time, it's been without the kids. We love soaking in the ambience of Jonker Street and strolling by the river. Of course, the food never fails to draw us back to this laidback town with its sleepy atmosphere. The facade of Malacca has, however, changed over the years. Imposing mega malls loom over two-storey shophouses. I would probably have not brought the boys along as the streets are narrow and traffic seemingly never ebbing, but when I googled "Malacca for Kids" this time round, there were quite a few options for the kids to enjoy. Of course, the main reason why we decided to go was because we were attending my dearest  cousin's wedding dinner. This brings back memories of how my cousins and I used to hang around at Chinese restaurants. We would be so thrilled to be on an actual stage... And our choice of accommodation was largely influenced by the water play area which our hot

Setting Up a Finnish School in the Home

The issue of private tuition has again come to the forefront after a senior education official pronounced in parliament that the Singapore education system is "run on the basis that tuition is not necessary". Ms Indranee Rajah, Senior Minister of State for Education, added that schools provide "comprehensive levelling-up programmes" as well as remedial and supplementary classes to support weaker students. In the days that followed, mainstream and social media agencies were abuzz with reports from parents and students alike, many of whom disagreed with Ms Indranee's assessment of the education scene. They argued that private tuition is already a multi-million dollar industry, and that its very existence disputes notions that tuition is unnecessary. From the perspective of an educator in Singapore, I can understand the comments made by the Senior Minister of State, especially since it is the responsibility of the Education Ministry to teach our school childre

"Monkeying Around": A Review of My Gym Singapore

Our 2/1/2-year old son E has always been an active child. When he was an infant, E would crawl around and get into all sorts of mischief, until one day when he discovered that he could climb on  his poor Daddy, in an inspired moment of pretend play - Daddy was his mountain and he was Sir Edmund Hilary - the first person to scale Mt Everest! It was therefore with great excitement that we we heard that Parenting on Purpose had been invited by My Gym Singapore  to participate in a series of four classes. We agreed at once; knowing that our little boy would thoroughly enjoy gym class - this was also a chance for our exuberant toddler to work off his energy and hopefully fall fast asleep after getting home. Our little son having a swing of a time at gym class.  My Gym  has an interesting educational philosophy that emphasises building self esteem in children. This is an excerpt from the company's website: The philosophy that guides My Gym’s programming and breakdown for clas

Schooling for Gold: a Parent Reflects on Singapore's First Olympic Gold Medallist

50.39 seconds. The (less than) one minute of time that made history for the small island nation of Singapore. Millions in Singapore and around the world watched as 21-year-old Joseph Schooling defeated his long-time idol and heavily-decorated Olympian Michael Phelps, the man described as "the most-decorated Olympian of all time". Indeed most of the international news footage had been previously focussed on Phelps, given that the American is expected to retire at this year's Rio Olympics. The New York Times even ran an article with the headline: " Somebody (His Name’s Joseph Schooling) Finally Beats Michael Phelps"! For Joseph Schooling, it could not have been a prouder moment, as he not only bagged Singapore's first and only Olympic Gold, it was also a race that proved he had not only matched, but also beaten his childhood idol. Indeed a 2008 photograph of 13-year-old Schooling standing side by side with Michael Phelps has been spreading like wildfire o

Hong Kong for Kids: Our Dorsett Wanchai Experience

It was only a few months back when we had our lovely holiday experience in Hong Kong. We had then stayed in the Cosmopolitan Hotel, a lovely place located at the northern tip of Hong Kong island, near the world-famous Ocean Park. Most people have asked us why we chose Hong Kong as a destination for our kids given the island's reputation as more of a food and shopping paradise. We shared with them that there is actually more than meets the eye to this territory known affectionately as the "Pearl of the Orient".  The view from Stanley, one of our favourite spots in the beautiful city of Hong Kong. Rooms in Hong Kong are small, and we had a hard time looking for a place to stay that could meet the needs of our two very energetic children. We settled for the Cosmopolitan Hotel, given that it was one of the few hotels that had affordable prices for its Family Quad Room, a large room that could accommodate all four of us comfortably. We were pleasantly surprised when we r

A Safe Space: Adventures in Fostering

Fostering challenges traditional notions of what a family is and what a family should be. At the end of the day, what is your idea of "family"? The younger child seemed a little troubled during bedtime. "Mummy..." he said. "Yes Darling," replied Mummy. "It will be very sad when R has to go home to the tummy mummy and daddy one day."  "Yes, Darling. It will be very sad." "But it's all up to God, right?" "Yes it is. You know that R's tummy mummy and daddy can't take care of any child right now? That's why R is with us." "Yes I know. R is with us just for awhile. Not like Kor Kor and I. The four of us are a forever family." "Yes we are. So how will you feel when R goes back to the tummy mummy and daddy?" "It will be sad, but it will be all right." The older child, who was a silent participant in the conversation, decided to speak at th

The Father I Will Never Be

We recently went on a holiday to Fraser's Hill, one of the less-visited places in Malaysia. For Sue and I, this is a place that is filled with memories. It was, for her, a childhood oasis, a place where her family would visit year after year, and build many precious memories together. It was, for me, a special place where I visited with a band of dear brothers during our university days, and where we set a stake in the ground, to declare that we wanted to surrender all of our days to the glory of God. It was, for Sue and I, the location of our honeymoon, the place where we enjoyed our first few days of marital bliss; the place where we chiselled our marriage covenant and planned for our future as one.  This is how I remember Fraser's Hill. Shrouded in mist and somewhat mysterious; a grand legacy of days gone by. I remember my first visit there as a single young man, not yet a quarter of a century old, but yet imbued with the desire to be the best father I could be sho

The Insecurities of a Homeschooling Dad

Social media can be very deceiving. We scroll through the news feeds of people we know (or of celebrity bloggers and content experts), and assume that they are living perfect lives. With every holiday photo they post, every food picture presented, or every insightful article they write, we slip into social media envy and  assume that our friends are enjoying the time of their lives. And many people assume that of me as well. They seem to think that I am living the dream life with a wonderful job and wonderful kids. And when I meet people at my various engagements, I seem to get the nod that I am the model citizen of social media society.  A recent holiday in Disneyland. After long queues under the hot sun, we were quite the "model" family! There is some truth to this. At this moment, I can say that there is no other job I would rather do; to be my own boss and to conduct training workshops for others, sometimes with my wife; what more could a man ask for? And my kids? T

Parenting Your Child for Marriage

It's not often that the Father of the Bride gets to speak at a wedding. Oftentimes, the only words are in response to the question, "Who presents this woman to be married to this man?" In that instance, it is normally a mild-mannered man, one who shuns the attention of the moment, who barely manages to whisper out the refrain, "I do."  A precious photo of a very special couple.  This was completely not what happened at a wedding I was at almost three weeks ago. In response to that question, the Father of the Bride seemed to have an entire speech prepared for the Groom, "I present to you the key to my daughter's heart, " he declared. "I have protected her heart all her life until this point, and now I am handing over this responsibility to you." And with a firm voice, he presented this solemn reminder: "Remember that you will not be able to do this on your own, but only with God's help, and by spending time with Him daily.&

Running the Race of Shame

Every muscle in my body protested. Every inner voice in my being screamed from the recesses within. "Don't do it!" they yelled.   "You will make a fool of yourself!" they taunted. "Why are you so stupid? Why do you want to prove to the whole world how stupid you are?" "You know that you are a colossal failure. Now you want everyone in the world to see what a loser you are?" It was deafening deep within. But I did what I could to ignore the deep shame and hurt that I felt from within. The voices of shame can be deafening even in the presence of an external quietness. "The next event will be the Parents' Race. Will  Mark Lim please proceed to the reporting area?" This was it. There would be no turning back now.  So I dragged myself to the starting line, and mingled with the other homeschool dads who all looked eager to race. "I haven't done any running since I was in National Service," I remark